Tuttosport: Cardinale’s rules for Milan keep the focus on sustainability over major signings

By Euan Burns -

The rules that have been set out by new AC Milan owner Gerry Cardinale are heavily focused on sustainability rather than bankrolling the team to back-to-back Serie A titles, a report claims. 

As has been reported by Tuttosport (via Milan News), the business model under RedBird Capital Group has not changed much from when Elliott Management were still the owners.

An example is that Cardinale said no to Frederic Massara and Paolo Maldini when they asked for the extra cash needed to meet Nicolo Zaniolo’s demands.

The plan is still to work well within the budget and hope to find cheaper players with high potential who can burst into the team. The issue this season is that none of the summer signings have had a positive impact just yet.

Something that would change the situation would be some smart sales, such as when the club made money on Patrick Cutrone, Suso and Jens Petter Hauge.

Tags AC Milan Gerry Cardinale


  1. Have you seen Bayern business model? They don’t, make bank breaking signings.. Yet they are successful! Compare, that to Barca and Juventus, you will know what I am talking about.. Or you want us, to be Oil City or P$G?

    1. Matthijs de Ligt – 67M
      Sadio Mané – 32M
      Dayot Upamecano – 42.5M
      Leroy Sané – 49M
      Lucas Hernández – 80M

      All brought on the cheap, practically budget signing. You’re comparing our broke ass with a German government project with endless resources if/when they need them.

      Without a stadium, without at least UCL 1/4 final 5 or 6 years in a row, without new sponsors, and Serie A making necessary steps to at least start caching up La Liga and PL, us reaching Salzburg leves would be a dream.

      1. What I was trying to tell is that, they don’t make, crazy signings like PSG and Manchester City.. They only spend, if there is need to! Don’t forget they, have a World class stadium.. Government project? How? Bayern are a private company.. They aren’t any state owned entity, like PSG and Manchester City.. If they had unlimited resources, then, Messi, Mbapppe, Haaland would’ve been playing for them..

        1. Actually they are owned by FC Bayern München AG that owns 75%, the other 25% are owned by Audi, Adidas and Allianz and president is elected by members. But anyone can become a member by paying a nominal membership fee and if they have support they can become the president. Current president id former president of Adidas.

          Also, while on paper they are independent organisation (they own 75% of themselves) with such rich companies owning 25%, you know they can tap into unlimited resources if/when they need them. They just sign a new sponsorship deal and everything is in accordance with FFP.

          And of course, considering how rich Bavarians are, and especially those controlling Bayern, you know they are controlling German politics as well, so that is the reason why everyone cheering for any other club in Germany says that they are a government project and that league is rigged and Bayern will win no matter what.

    2. Shiva replied well to your message. I’d add that we do not have the same income as Bayern. They earn more from the stadium, sponsors, etc.

  2. Explode on the scene…Dominic sblobozai and Kvaratskhelia and dani limo spring to mind..oh wait we didn’t lay out for them either. If you want players who will burst on the scene in
    3-5 years – 10m
    2-3 years – 15m
    1-2 years – 20-30m
    1 year – 35m plus
    Ready – 80m

    We’re always searching in the 10m basket…go figure

    1. Plus we already went through 1 cycle of this Theo, leao, tonali, Kessie, bennacer. We needed to added ready made but we went back 4 years instead of adding 2-3 ready players as per maldinis wishes. These boys mentioned are still very young and not capable yet of mentoring a new crop. They’re still trying to forge their own paths yet

      1. And even if we did buy those 80M€ ready players, Pioli would refuse to play them as “they’re not ready”. It takes a decade or two for any player to get integrated into the highly intelligent and demanding tactics that Pioli use, right? 😀

  3. “Something that would change the situation would be some smart sales”
    Really? No way. I thought Maldini should just continue getting money from the owners, sign new players and wait on the contracts of the rest of the players in the squad to expire.
    I thought Maldini had this new revolutionary strategy of just keeping the players (productive or not) for the entirety of their contract and then letting them leave for free.
    Maldini must have skipped that day in his online sporting director training course where they were teaching them about SALES

Comments are closed

Serie A Standings

Live football scores . Current table, fixtures & results.