Gigio Donnarumma has decided to leave Milan when his contract expires at the end of this month, unable to reach an agreement with the Rossoneri. There have been many reports on the matter, but there is only one truth.
It’s obviously a shame for Milan to lose such a good player for free, especially since many expected him to stay at the club for a long time. However, in football these days, it can all change very quickly and this situation was no exception.
There have been reports on how it all went down, with some suggesting that Donnarumma took this decision himself and not Mino Raiola. In his piece for MilanNews, the reliable Luca Serafini shed some light on what actually happened.
“During the week I read an article which supposedly told the “truth” about Donnarumma. ‘He decided without Raiola’s knowledge, or in any case without the agent being able to intervene in his choice’. A 180-degree reversal of what actually happened. Milan’s offer to the player had been formulated and revised up to the definitive offer that Donnarumma was absolutely willing to accept.
“The problem was Raiola’s commissions which Donnarumma sided with. The club’s patience ran out on May 23 and you know how it went. Whatever happens, Donnarumma will now be earning less or the same while he’s not at all sure his agent will get the commissions he asks for. This is the story, the rest never existed,” he wrote.
As said, it’s sad that the saga came to an end this way but it’s also clear that Milan already have moved on. They secured Mike Maignan quickly for Lille and are now preparing for the upcoming season.