The name of Granit Xhaka has come back into fashion for AC Milan as a possible transfer target, according to a report.
Calciomercato.com are reporting that head coach Stefano Pioli is in constant contact with Boban and Maldini to study the transfer strategy for January, and he has expressed a desire to have a stronger regista than Ismael Bennacer in front of the defence.
As a result, Xhaka’s name is once again being mentioned as a possible reinforcement, as he is player who perfectly matches the need highlighted by Pioli for physical and technical qualities.
The report continues by adding that the Swiss international would make sense as a signing especially if Franck Kessie were to leave, with the Ivorian in the crosshairs of Napoli but above all some Premier League clubs.
It has been a turbulent season so far for Xhaka since October, when an altercation with supporters – who booed him off the field in a home game – led to him being stripped of the captaincy.
The decision regarding the 27-year-old’s future will likely boil down to what incoming head coach Mikel Arteta decides, and if Lucas Torreira were to leave it is unthinkable that the London club would lose both in one season.
Meanwhile, Bild are reporting that Xhaka has told his Arsenal team-mates that he will be leaving the club two years after arriving from Monchengladbach in a deal worth €35m (via Sky).
Xhaka has told his teammates he will be leaving Arsenal. [@BILD_Englis
— Z (@ZRAFC) December 20, 2019
SempreMilan Podcast: Episode 79 – The Birthday Special