AC Milan look set to miss out on the signing of Sandro Tonali as Inter are closing in on concluding a deal worth around €35m, a report claims.
La Gazzetta dello Sport reported last week that the Rossoneri management have been working for months to strengthen the midfield department, adding that Tonali is the number one target as every single member of the management are in agreement regarding his potential signing.
Speaking to reporters before Saturday’s game against Cagliari, Pioli responded to rumours of Milan’s interest, and did not rule out a move.
“First of all I think that at Milan the talented players are always welcome, more or less young is not so relevant,” he said.
However, according to il Corriere della Sera (via The Sun), it looks like Milan are set to be disappointed as Inter are ‘on the brink’ of concluding a €35m deal.
They even go as far as saying the Nerazzurri are expected to announce the signing on Monday evening, while The Sun are adamant that Manchester United have also been in the running.
They claim that a source told them: “We have known about Tonali for 18 months but our Italian scouts say he has gone to the next level and United need to get involved – he could be a generational talent.”