AC Milan CEO Ivan Gazidis has revealed that there have been many inaccuracies from the media in recent months regarding the club’s plans.
After an unstable few months, the last 48 hours brought everything to the fore for Milan, with everything seemingly having done a full 180 degree spin.
There had been persistent speculation regarding Ralf Rangnick’s imminent arrival as head coach, and it seemed almost certain that he would arrive and lead a new revolution once the season was over.
However, during the first half of Tuesday night’s win over Sassuolo reports began to emerge stating otherwise. Kicker were the first to state that the German would not join and that in fact Stefano Pioli would sign a new deal and remain, something the club confirmed after the game.
Gazidis gave an interview to newspaper Tuttosport (via MilanLive), and admitted that he spoke to other people before deciding to keep Pioli.
“I have read and heard many things in six months, many inaccurate. When we decided to change Giampaolo in October, we analysed several profiles, some we met and one was Ralf Rangnick,” he said.
“Everyone in the sports area was aware of these options, in the end only I met him, but then we decided to take Pioli. From then on, I kept in touch with Rangnick and other potential candidates because it’s part of my role.”
Gazidis explained that Pioli was aware of the dialogues with other coaches, but reacted in the best way, continuing to work hard and earning contract renewal until 2022.
Gazidis was also asked about rumours suggesting Louis Vuitton group owner Bernard Arnault could buy the club.
“I usually let the property answer, but I can say that there is nothing true,” he said.