MN: Three-way race for the final spot in Milan’s midfield against Inter

By Isak Möller -

Stefano Pioli hasn’t decided AC Milan’s starting XI in full for tomorrow’s clash against Inter, but he has narrowed down the final position to three candidates. Junior Messias, for now, is the favourite. 

The manager will field a 4-3-3 formation tomorrow rather than the usual 4-2-3-1; a change prompted by Milan’s horrible defensive record in the last few games. In the last three outings, they have conceded a whopping 12 (!) goals.

According to MilanNews, Rade Krunic and Sandro Tonali are both certain to play from the first minute in the midfield. As things stand, they will be joined by Junior Messias (40% chance). But Tommaso Pobega (30%) and Aster Vranckx (30%) are also in the running.

If Messias were to start, then one can only imagine that Pioli has a tactical idea behind the position. Inter will hardly be surprised by the selection if it happens, but perhaps they don’t know really how Milan intend to use the Brazilian.

Tags AC Milan Aster Vranckx Inter Junior Messias Stefano Pioli Tommaso Pobega


  1. 433 is not right.
    4321 is better. It offers more support for the defense which is weak now. Get a draw is a win now. Wise up Mr Poli

  2. why isn’t simply Calabria CDM?

    This could be a simple 4-1-2-1-2 or simply 4-3-3 with a false 9

    GK Vasquez (can’t be worse than Tatarusanu)
    LB Dest, CB Tomori , CB Thiaw/Kjaer, RB Kalulu
    CDM – Calabria
    CM Tonali, CM Adli
    CAM/False 9 – CdK or Brahim
    LW – Theo (I believe, he has the speed and dribbling to be a great LW. Actually even Gareth Bale started as a defender and he made it into a winger)
    RW – Leao (he is so skilled, that I believe, he would manage to play as a RW)
    RW – Leao

Comments are closed

Serie A Standings

Live football scores . Current table, fixtures & results.